Brad Holbrook has a multifaceted litigation practice extending throughout the Greater Nebraska area, including bench trials, jury trials and appellate practice. Brad focuses in the areas of family law, commercial and estate disputes.
His family law practice often involves families with farming and ranching operations as well as closely held business interests. Due to the nature of divorce, it is crucial that every property issue be fully explored, which requires the tracing of premarital and nonmarital assets and debts (e.g., valuation of stock, partnership and LLC interests; Grace awards; application of Van Newkirk exceptions; valuation of business entities; valuation of farm ground, machinery, equipment and livestock). Brad’s family and divorce cases also frequently involve matters such as custody, visitation, child support, alimony and more.
Brad’s commercial and estate dispute practice has involved multimillion-dollar cases related to business and partnership disputes, the enforcement of buy-sell agreements, the dissolution of going concern business entities, contract disputes, litigation among heirs in business and farming interests, replevin actions related to the enforcement of security interests in real estate, farm machinery, business equipment and livestock, and the interpretation and enforcement of long-term commercial and farming leases. In this context, Brad helps clients reach fair and objective resolution of financial disputes of all sizes and assists his clients to navigate the many lengthy and complex issues that arise in these areas. Beyond law, Brad’s education was concentrated on economics, with a focus in accounting and finance. This background assists Brad as he actively works alongside appraisers, CPAs, bankers, investment representatives, adjusters and economists, among others, and he is able to speak on their terms to expedite much of the detail work in banking, commercial and corporate law.
While Brad’s core expertise lies in handling litigation, he frequently works in transactional matters, such as providing advice to corporate clients on issues of entity formation, buy-sell agreements, stock transfer restrictions, contract, warranty, lending and more. Brad's experience provides a practical perspective and versatile ability in litigation, as well as in documenting business transactions in ways that may help his clients avoid litigation down the road.
Litigation | Family | Banking Law | Bankruptcy (Creditor Rights) | Commercial Litigation | Corporate Law | Estate Planning and Litigation | Insurance Litigation | Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)
- Creighton University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1998
University of Nebraska at Lincoln, B.S. Business Administration, 1994
Nebraska Supreme Court
U.S. District Court – Nebraska
U.S. Bankruptcy Court
Nebraska State Bar Association
Business Law Section Executive Committee
Buffalo County Bar Association
Buffalo County Bar Association - Officer
Nebraska Judicial Qualifications Commission
9th Judicial District Judicial Nominating Commission
Nebraska Defense Counsel Association
Buffalo County Defense Association
Nebraska Criminal Defense Attorneys Association
Nebraska High School Mock Trial Project (Judge)
Nebraska High School Mock Trial Project (Coach)
Kearney Sertoma (Past Officer & Director; Current Member)
Kearney Country Club (Past Officer & Director; Current Member)
Kearney Area Chamber of Commerce (Colonels Club)
Kearney Area Chamber of Commerce (Past Director)
Buffalo County Economic Development Council (Vice Chair)
Ducks Unlimited, Buffalo County Chapter
Buffalo County Goodfellows
Hot Meals, USA (Director)
AIM Central Nebraska Advisory Board (Director)
Kearney Catholic Activities Association
- Janice M. Hinrichsen Inc. v. Messersmith Ventures LLC (Fraudulent Transfer) April 2017
- In Re Clinger Estate (Will Contest) Supreme Court December 2015
- Schwarz v. Schwarz (Child Support) January 2015
- Gibbons Ranches, LLC v. Bailey (Long Term Farm Lease) January 2015
- In Re Estate of Clinger (Will Contest) Court of Appeals January 2015
- Stauffer v. Benson (Real Estate Contract) July 2014.
- Sea-Hubbert, L.L.C. ex rel Boston v. Hubbert (Corporate Litigation between Members) April 30, 2013
- Nordhues v. Maulsby (Farm and UCC Litigation) March 20, 2012.
- Kirkpatrick v. Kirkpatrick (Custody Modification) December 20, 2011.
- Stadler v. Stadler (Farm Divorce and Grace Award) Court of Appeals of Nebraska; October 11, 2011.
- Cesar C. v. Alicia L. (Paternity) Supreme Court of Nebraska, July 22, 2011.
- Graham v. Dietz (Corporate Litigation among Professional Members) April 20, 2010.
- Williams v. Williams (Farm Divorce and Custody) December 02, 2008.
- In re KeyTronics (Partnerships) Supreme Court of Nebraska, February 1, 2008.
- Borley Storage and Transfer Co., Inc. v. Whitted (Malpractice Litigation) Supreme Court of Nebraska, March 3, 2006.
- City of Minden v. Sumstine (Zoning and Nuisance) August 23, 2005.
- Schoenhofer v. Schoenhofer (Visitation) March 1, 2005.
- Slansky v. Nebraska State Patrol (Criminal and Constitutional Law) Supreme Court of Nebraska, July 16, 2004.
- Rodehorst v. Gartner (Commercial Guaranties) Supreme Court of Nebraska, October 10, 2003.
- Borley Storage and Transfer Co., Inc. v. Whitted (Summary Judgment) Supreme Court of Nebraska, March 21, 2003.
- Albers v. Atlas Roofing Corp (Breach of Contract/Warranty) September 3, 2002.
- Koch v. Koch (Family Law and Emancipation) February 12, 2002.
- Jacobson v. Jacobson (Family Law and Removal of Minor Children) November 6, 2001.
- Thomas Livestock Co, Inc v. Rapp (Commercial Litigation) April 25, 2000.
- Jameson v. Liquid Controls Corp. (Products Liability) Supreme Court of Nebraska; October 6, 2000.