Nic Norton maintains a broad practice at Jacobsen Orr, which includes both litigation and business/corporate work, and approaches every problem from a practical perspective to find the optimal resolution for his clients. Nic’s primary focus is civil litigation in a variety of areas, including commercial, business, trust and estate, insurance defense, construction, real estate, criminal defense and others. Nic has appeared in State and Federal courts across Nebraska and has experience in both bench trials and jury trials. He also has experience in appellate practice before the Nebraska Court of Appeals, the Nebraska Supreme Court, and the U.S Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
In his litigation practice, Nic has assisted clients with a number of lawsuits involving disputes between shareholders, contract disputes, construction defect claims, buy-sell agreements, personal injury defense, and other matters. Additionally, Nic has represented several clients in proceedings related to tax sale certificates and tax deeds, as well as boundary disputes, partition actions, property damage, commercial and agricultural lease agreements, and other claims related to real estate. Whether the case involves a multi-million dollar claim, a simple contract dispute, or preserving the family farm, Nic devotes the same diligence and care to each matter he handles.
Nic also represents clients in a general business role. In addition to handling litigation needs as they arise, Nic routinely counsels small business owners on the multitude of issues that occur on a daily basis, whether employment law or business planning. Nic also negotiates and drafts agreements related to sales, supply, licensing, and employment and helps business owners find the balance between their legal concerns and the realities of their business operations.
Nic is committed to offering excellent legal service to his clients in a cost-effective manner. He has been named a Rising Star by the Great Plains Super Lawyers in each of the last four years (2016–2019) in the area of civil litigation, has received an “Excellent” rating on Avvo, and is actively involved with several legal organizations, including serving on the Board of Directors of the Nebraska Defense Counsel Association. Nic is also involved in his church and in the community at large, and has recently been selected to join the Board of Directors for the CHI Health Good Samaritan Foundation.
Business | Criminal | Employment | Real Estate | Probate | Litigation | Energy | Natural Resources | Insurance Defense
Nebraska Supreme Court
U.S. District Court – Nebraska
U.S. Court of Appeals - 8th Circuit
Nebraska State Bar Association
Buffalo County Bar Association
Nebraska Young Lawyers Section
Defense Research Institute
Nebraska Defense Counsel Association
CHI Good Samaritan Foundation – Secretary/Board of Directors
Faith Christian School – Vice President/Board of Directors
Kearney E-Free Church – LifeGroup Leadership Team
Kearney Young Professionals Network
National Wild Turkey Federation – Fort Kearney Thundering Toms
- Lewison v. Renner (Personal Injury) Supreme Court of Nebraska, January 12, 2018
- City of Benkelman, Nebraska v. Baseline Engineering Corporation (Government Contracts) Eighth Circuit United States Court of Appeals, August 11, 2017
- Janice M. Hinrichsen Inc. v. Messersmith Ventures LLC (Fraudulent Transfer) April 2017
- In Re Clinger Estate (Will Contest) Supreme Court December 2015
- DMK Biodiesel, L.L.C. v. McCoy (Corporate Dispute-Biofuels) Court of Appeals, March 2015.
- Hanshaw v. Earls (Harassment) Nebraska Court of Appeals, April 2015
- In Re Estate of Clinger (Will Contest) Court of Appeals January 2015
- Kelliher v. Soundy (Real Estate) Nebraska Supreme Court, August 2014
- Stauffer v. Benson (Real Estate Contract) July 2014.
- Henderson v. Smallcomb (Insurance Defense) June 17, 2014.