Nic Norton maintains a broad general practice that focuses on various types of litigation throughout the state and federal courts of Nebraska, as well as general business matters for individuals and small businesses. Whether in a court room or a board room, Nic’s focus is on resolution of his clients’ problems in a practical and efficient manner.
In his litigation practice, Nic is regularly involved in lawsuits involving disputes between members or shareholders, contract disputes, real estate claims, defense of personal injury claims, trust and estate litigation, as well as numerous other disputes involving a variety of factual and legal scenarios. In his role as counselor to business, Nic routinely assists business owners with the multitude of issues that arise on a daily basis, whether negotiating contracts, drafting internal corporate documents, or addressing complicated employment law issues. In addition, Nic focuses on helping businesses balance their legal concerns with the realities of their business operations.
Nic has been named a Rising Star by the Great Plains Super Lawyers in each of the last five years (2016-2020) in the are of civil litigation, has received an “Excellent” rating on AVVO, and is actively involved with several legal organizations and in the Kearney community. In his spare time, Nic enjoys spending time with his family pursuing all things outdoors. He is also actively engaged in learning the ins and outs of blockchain, the digital economy and the multi-faceted world of cryptocurrencies, including the unique legal challenges they present.
Business | Real Estate | Employment Litigation | Commercial Litigation | Trust/Estate Litigation
Civil Litigation | Insurance Defense
Nebraska Supreme Court
U.S. District Court – Nebraska
U.S. Court of Appeals - 8th Circuit
Nebraska State Bar Association
Buffalo County Bar Association
Nebraska Young Lawyers Section
Defense Research Institute
Nebraska Defense Counsel Association - Board of Directors
CHI Good Samaritan Foundation – Secretary/Board of Directors
National Wild Turkey Federation – Fort Kearney Thundering Toms
Faith Christian School – President/Board of Directors
Kearney E-Free Church – LifeGroup Leadership Team
Kearney Young Professionals Network
- Estate of Severson (Probate), Supreme Court of Nebraska, February 18, 2022
- Benjamin v. Bierman (Member Dispute over Buy-Sell Agreement) Nebraska Supreme Court; May 22, 2020
- Bierman & Hoppenstedt v. Benjamin (Shareholder Disputer over Buy-Sell Agreement) Nebraska Supreme Court, May 22, 2020
- Lewison v. Renner (Personal Injury) Supreme Court of Nebraska, January 12, 2018
- City of Benkelman, Nebraska v. Baseline Engineering Corporation (Government Contracts) Eighth Circuit United States Court of Appeals, August 11, 2017
- Janice M. Hinrichsen Inc. v. Messersmith Ventures LLC (Fraudulent Transfer) April 2017
- In Re Clinger Estate (Will Contest) Supreme Court December 2015
- DMK Biodiesel, L.L.C. v. McCoy (Corporate Dispute-Biofuels) Court of Appeals, March 2015.
- Hanshaw v. Earls (Harassment) Nebraska Court of Appeals, April 2015
- In Re Estate of Clinger (Will Contest) Court of Appeals January 2015
- Kelliher v. Soundy (Real Estate) Nebraska Supreme Court, August 2014
- Stauffer v. Benson (Real Estate Contract) July 2014.
- Henderson v. Smallcomb (Insurance Defense) June 17, 2014.